strangepromises: (Default)
[personal profile] strangepromises
Title: Tentacles
Fandom: SG1 AU ([livejournal.com profile] synecdochic & [livejournal.com profile] ivorygates's Mezzanine universe)
Author: [livejournal.com profile] julietink
Summary: Lazy evenings at home. With tentacles. Written for [livejournal.com profile] synecdochic's Holiday Wishes list thing.)
A/N: Concrit welcome


"Ow," Daniel said mildly.

"Well, if you will speak vile calumnies," Cammie said, from her position next to him on the couch. "Ain't no one else round here gonna defend my honour, after all."

JD, sprawled on his back on the floor in the middle of the living room, said lazily "Didn't know you had any honour left to defend, Mitchell."

Daniel smothered a grin, and Cammie hit him again.

"I didn't say anything!" he protested.

"You laughed," she pointed out. "And don't you think that you can get away with saying that just because you're all the way over there, Neilson. I may not be prepared to move right now, but don't you worry, I have a long memory."

"The laziness of advancing years, Mitchell. Very sad."

Cammie grabbed a cushion from beside her on the couch, and threw it, hard, across the room. It landed on JD's face, stifling his resulting laugh.

"Also I have ammunition," she said severely, "and advancing as the years may be, they have not as yet affected my aim, you sonovabitch. I swear, I'm going to sell you to the Marines. What'd'you think he'd fetch, Daniel baby?"

Daniel considered the matter. "Two dollars. If you dress him up nicely first. Anyway, if anyone round here has to worry about advancing years it's me."

"Aw," Cammie said, laying her head on his shoulder, "don't you worry baby, we'll look after you."

Daniel brightened up. "Does that mean someone will fetch me the icecream?" Some local customs he had found very easy to pick up.

"Try that over-energetic one over there," Cammie advised. "He was gonna get up in a minute anyway."

"My cue," JD said, bouncing to his feet and heading for the kitchen. His voice came back over his shoulder "Why was I going to get up in a minute anyway?"

"To come over and sit with us and use your sweet personality to convince me that I shouldn't sell you to the Marines for target practice."

"Ah," JD said, returning with a tub of icecream, "we might be out of luck on that. I am reliably and regularly informed - by you, on multiple occasions - that a sweet personality is one of the many things which I am sadly lacking."

"Also the common sense God gave little green apples, if you think that bringing just one tub of icecream through is a good idea," Cammie said, eyeing him in disgust.

"Daniel expressed a wish for icecream," JD pointed out. "I didn't hear anyone else doing so." He opened the tub as he came across the room, and dug in with the spoon.

"Hey!" Daniel protested.

"What'll you trade me for it?" JD made threatening gestures towards the icecream with the spoon as he reached the couch.

"What do you want?" Daniel asked cagily.

"Remember, you're dealing with an expert negotiator here, Neilson," Cammie warned, eyes dancing. "You may be out of your league."

JD ignored her to wiggle a lascivious eyebrow at Daniel. "Well now, I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement..."

"I hate to point this out, but you get that anyway," Daniel observed.

JD's eyes widened in mock-shock. "My god, you're right." He paused. "Obviously I haven't done so recently enough. I may need a reminder."

"I'm sure we can come to some sort of arrangement," Daniel said, snagging the icecream out of JD's hand as he leant in for a kiss.

"Now, that is just never going to stop being pretty," Cammie said with satisfaction, eyeing them happily and settling herself better against Daniel.

"We are not your personal peep show, Mitchell," JD said haughtily.

"Nope," Cammie agreed, "I've had the feed up on the net for weeks. Share and share alike, that's always been my motto." She removed the spoon from Daniel's hand and dug into the icecream, a move which Daniel regarded with resignation.

"In that case I feel less bad about my sideline in your used panties, Mitchell," JD retorted.

"Step three - profit?" Cammie asked.

Daniel, who still missed chunks of any conversation between JD and Cammie, though the percentages were getting better over time as they - corrupted him, as he put it, and educated him, as they preferred - took the opportunity to steal his spoon back.

"There is a need," he observed to the room at large, "for more icecream, before I'm forced to take drastic steps to protect my property."

"It only gets to be your property if it was your turn to put the online grocery order through," Cammie said with a decisive nod, reaching for the tub again. Daniel held it behind his head, out of her grasp.

"JD!" he appealed.

JD eyed the tub himself, but obviously thought better of it, and headed back to the kitchen. He returned brandishing a second tub of icecream and a bottle of vodka, both of which he dumped in Cammie's lap before returning to the kitchen.

"Neilson?" Cammie called after him. "Are you trying to get me drunk and take advantage of me?"

"I'm shocked at your outrageous implication that I'd do such a thing, Mitchell," JD called back. "Anyway, I wouldn't use the good vodka if I was."

"Yeah, I'm a cheap date," Cammie agreed.

JD returned again with yet more icecream, three glasses, and a laptop.

"No, I remembered that we haven't yet shown Daniel any of the tentacle porn."

"Oh god," Daniel moaned. "This cannot possibly, possibly be good."

"That's why you need the vodka, honeybaby," Cammie told him cheerfully as she poured a large glass.

"Can't I just have the vodka and use it to wipe out even the idea of tentacle porn without seeing any?" Daniel asked plaintively.

JD flopped on the floor in front of the sofa and Daniel's feet, hemming him in. He put his head back on Daniel's knee.

"No, Daniel, it is vitally important that you experience the full horror of how very wrong the internet is. Your brain is still distressingly unwarped. You need to catch up with Mitchell and me."

"I'm pretty sure you've made me experience the full horror of the internet before, and it never ends well."

"Apart from the bit where we get you drunk and take advantage of you," Cammie said, kissing him.

Daniel looked thoughtful, paused for a moment, and then knocked back the glass of vodka. "Bring on the tentacles."

Date: 2008-11-20 04:15 am (UTC)
synecdochic: torso of a man wearing jeans, hands bound with belt (Default)
From: [personal profile] synecdochic
I am laughing so hard I can't breathe. Good Lord, you have the banter down perfectly.

I love this. And written for me, too! Thank you so much, omg!

(Forgot to ask: Can I stick a link to this on the "other people's Mezzanine fic" bit the next time I update the page?)

Date: 2008-11-20 04:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
[grin] Glad you like it! And of course you are welcome to link to it - that'd be great :)

Date: 2008-11-20 04:27 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] hilarytamar.livejournal.com
I adore this with every fiber of my being. I tried looking for extra extra good bits to quote at you, but, well, see icon: -->

*hugs fic fiercely*

ETA: I find I'm unable to close this tab--I keep moving the app I'm actually supposed to be working in around on the screen so I can see the browser and re-read this instead. Lord this is good stuff.

Date: 2008-11-20 11:59 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Thank you! Very glad you liked it; sorry to cause you non-work distraction ;-)

Date: 2008-11-20 04:38 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] j00j.livejournal.com
Vile calumnies! Tentacle porn! Excellent!

Date: 2008-11-21 12:00 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
I have a deep fondness for the word "vile".

And a deep concern about tentacle porn. I have been resisting the Wrongness of the Interwebs for *some time* now.

Date: 2008-11-21 03:15 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] j00j.livejournal.com
I was unfortunately exposed to tentacle porn back in high school. The video place just put warning stickers on nearly *all* the anime that might contain anything remotely "adult," so it was impossible to tell what just had a bit of nudity or sex versus what had tentacles! tentacles in bad places! The back of the box doesn't always tell you either. o_O

Date: 2008-11-20 04:38 am (UTC)
kazbaby: (Cam/JD (broken wings unvierse))
From: [personal profile] kazbaby
*snorts mt. dew from nose* Oh this was goooood.

Date: 2008-11-21 12:00 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Thank you!

Date: 2008-11-20 04:40 am (UTC)
ivorygates: (Default)
From: [personal profile] ivorygates
Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. The banter is ABSOLUTELY PERFECT.

And oh, GOD, this is so funny I can't *BREATHE*.

You dudefully fucking rock. Because... OMG. This is them.

Date: 2008-11-21 12:01 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Thank you! V glad you liked it, & think I've got them down here.

They are *chatty* in one's head...

Date: 2008-11-26 01:12 am (UTC)
ivorygates: (13 GEN BOOM)
From: [personal profile] ivorygates
*whimper*

Yes. Yes, they are....

Date: 2008-11-20 04:44 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] gigerisgod.livejournal.com
You really did an incredible job with the exchange between all three characters.

Date: 2008-11-21 06:54 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Thank you! They are fun to write.

Date: 2008-11-20 04:44 am (UTC)

Date: 2008-11-20 04:55 am (UTC)
ext_2472: (Default)
From: [identity profile] radiotelescope.livejournal.com
> "No," Cammie agreed, "I've had the feed up on the net for weeks."

At this point, I was slain.

Which is tricky, because I've already been slain once today, by http://jamesoff.net/site/fun/random-recipe-generator/ . (URL covers it. Reload as desired. Stolen off Making Light, which means plenty of people have already passed it around, but I must join the conga line.)

So, I am twice dead, and it's not even midnight yet. Also, I'm out of packing tape.

Date: 2008-11-21 06:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Heh, I like that link :)

[passes you the internet packing tape, which unfortunately is good only for packing the internet up. It works damn well for that, though]

Date: 2008-11-20 05:18 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] butterflykiki.livejournal.com
"I'm pretty sure you've made me experience the full horror of the internet before, and it never ends well."

THIS IS WHAT I'M SAYING. *sads sadly*

Also, laughing a lot. Lovely!

Date: 2008-11-21 06:56 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
I find myself saying it a lot, as well!

Thank you :)

Date: 2008-11-20 05:35 am (UTC)
sid: (Daniel grin)
From: [personal profile] sid
Two dollars! Internet feed! Used panties! The good vodka!

"Bring on the tentacles."

*falls out of chair, ded*

Date: 2008-11-21 06:57 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Thank you! Glad you liked :)

Date: 2008-11-20 05:53 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] venetia-sassy.livejournal.com
"Can't I just have the vodka and use it to wipe out even the idea of tentacle porn without seeing any?" Daniel asked plaintively.

Oh God. This would be me.

"No, Daniel, it is vitally important that you experience the full horror of how very wrong the internet is. Your brain is still distressingly unwarped. You need to catch up with Mitchell and me."

This would be my friends. Remind me never to mention tentacles around them.

Love the banter, it's so very, very them!

Date: 2008-11-21 12:02 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Distressingly, this is very much me and my friends as well. I am invariably Daniel, saying "NO I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT! WHATEVER IT IS!" and hiding.

Glad you liked it!

Date: 2008-11-20 06:42 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] http://users.livejournal.com/_minxy_/
This! This is why I love them!

Date: 2008-11-21 06:57 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
They are very loveable, aren't they?

Also *chatty*.

Date: 2008-11-20 06:55 am (UTC)
azurelunatic: Vivid pink Alaskan wild rose. (Default)
From: [personal profile] azurelunatic
"step three: profit"

*is slain from hilarity*

Date: 2008-11-21 06:57 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
I really need to rewatch that episode...

Date: 2008-11-20 07:42 am (UTC)
ext_864: me with book (Default)
From: [identity profile] newroticgirl.livejournal.com
"Step three - profit."

Oh lordy. That killed me right there. AWESOMENESS!

Date: 2008-11-21 06:58 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Thank you!

Date: 2008-11-20 08:01 am (UTC)
vass: Small turtle with green leaf in its mouth (Default)
From: [personal profile] vass
(here via [livejournal.com profile] synedochic)

Ahahahahahahaha.

Date: 2008-11-21 06:58 am (UTC)

Date: 2008-11-20 08:19 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chrismm.livejournal.com
Oh, man, so funny, oddly hot, and the voices are perfect. Yay!

Date: 2008-11-21 06:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
I think they're just intrinsically hot, is the thing.

Thank you!

Date: 2008-11-21 07:01 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] chrismm.livejournal.com
*g* True. And I was thinking about this later, hoping it didn't sound like a backhanded compliment, and thinking I really meant, I don't know, quirkily hot, or something.

Date: 2008-11-20 10:56 am (UTC)
rydra_wong: Lee Miller photo showing two women wearing metal fire masks in England during WWII. (Default)
From: [personal profile] rydra_wong
Fabulous!

Date: 2008-11-21 06:59 am (UTC)

Date: 2008-11-20 12:28 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] princessofg.livejournal.com
hilarious.

Date: 2008-11-21 06:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
thank you!

Date: 2008-11-20 01:34 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] elizabeth perry (from livejournal.com)
This is made of 100% win with winsauce on the side.

Date: 2008-11-21 06:59 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
Thank you! Glad you like :)

Date: 2008-11-20 02:57 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] 1-mad-squirrel.livejournal.com
Much love! I want to be them.

And for the love of God's aforementioned little green apples, can someone please tell me the origin of the phrase "Step three: profit!" It also popped up recently in a in a reply to a metaquote about the gay agenda. I hate being out of the loop.

Date: 2008-11-20 03:35 pm (UTC)
indywind: "Group Marriage for Dummies" book by Daniel Jackson Ph.D. (gm-for-dummies)
From: [personal profile] indywind
I can't tell you the origin, for I don't know it, but it's about a "great" plan that starts with a "brilliant" (cracked) idea, but leaves the middle part, the part about how you actually make it happen, undefined. I see it quouted a lot like: "Step 1: Steal underpants. Step 2:?? Step 3: Profit!!"
Maybe from Pinky & the Brain, or one of their stylistic predecessors?
If anybody else knows more, I'd like to know too.


I love how self- and social- and media- referential these guys are. It's like their own dialect. And this has captured it perfectly.

::has grins::

Date: 2008-11-20 04:05 pm (UTC)
ext_2472: (Default)
From: [identity profile] radiotelescope.livejournal.com
South Park: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gnomes_plan.png

But I've always thought of it as a memetic successor of the S. Harris cartoon: http://www.sciencecartoonsplus.com/pages/gallery.php

Date: 2008-11-21 12:04 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] julietink.livejournal.com
As [livejournal.com profile] radiotelescope says: South Park, where the Underpants Gnomes have a Splendid Plan with a distressingly absent middle step. (It is a very fine episode which I strongly recommend seeing.)

Glad you liked it!
Page generated Sep. 4th, 2026 11:15 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios